Application Procedures for Exchange Students
Algoma University welcomes exchange students from international partner universities with whom there is a bilateral exchange agreement. Exchange studies do not lead to an Algoma U degree, but will be counted towards the exchange student’s degree in their home university. Exchange studies may consist of courses, a final thesis and/or project work. All nominations for student exchanges must come from the international office of the applicant’s home institution, so students wishing to participate in an exchange with Algoma U must contact their own International Office first.
How to Apply
Once students are nominated by their home institutions, international exchange students can submit their application online to Algoma U. Application fees are waived for exchange students.
- Complete the Algoma U application.
- Upload official transcripts via online portal.
- Send proof of English language requirements (if applicable); Not required for those students who are accepted to our ESL program as part of the exchange program.
- Apply for accommodation (Residence or Homestay). Please note that homestay option is NOT available for exchange students who are studying academic courses.
Proof of English Language Proficiency
- TOEFL score of 550 (PBT); 79-80(IBT)
- IELTS 6.0 (min. on each band score)
- MELAB 90%
- CanTEST 4.50
- CAEL 60
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) 63
Length of the Exchange
The length of a study exchange may be one or two semesters, depending on the terms of the bilateral agreement between Algoma U and the partner university concerned:
- Fall semester (September – December)
- Winter semester (January – April)
Courses for Exchange Students
Fall and Winter courses are available for you and your advisor’s review at your home institution. Exchange students’ course registration will be confirmed after they arrive at Algoma U. The detailed timetables (with course days, times, names of teachers, classrooms, etc.) and all instructions will be given during the Exchange Student Orientation Week.
- Current Exchange Partner Institutions
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)
- Algoma Student Ambassador Program (ASAP)
- Orientation Program (ISOP)
If you have any questions about the application process, or did not find answers to your questions on these pages, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.