The committee has identified some key attributes and skills needed on the Board over the next few years. Please take a moment to consider if you, or someone you know, might bring strategic value to the foresight/oversight role of the Board.
- Proven strategic leadership (i.e. forward planning, change management, strategic analysis/experience, critical thinking)
- Passionate about Algoma’s well-being (i.e. compelling interest in supporting Algoma University; advocates for higher education’s values and contributions)
- Strong relationship building (i.e. capacity to connect with diverse stakeholders)
- Integrity (i.e. putting the good of the university first; avoiding conflicts of interest; maintaining confidentiality)
- Diversity of thought/perspective (i.e. international and/or cross-cultural understanding/perspective)
- Related governance experience (i.e. experience on or with board structures)
- Effective communication skills (i.e. constructive tone; good facilitation skills)
- Availability to attend and actively participate (i.e. desire to serve, willingness and ability to commit the time and effort required)
- Strong problem solving capabilities
- Stakeholder relationship building
- Demonstrated ‘big picture’ thinking
- Innovator/mentor for innovation
- Able to navigate the impacts of disruptive technologies
- Demonstrated interest in building a diverse and inclusive community
- Community partnerships and involvement (experience with region(s) and community
- Demonstrated experience serving on boards and committees
- Major financial acumen (i.e. audit, risk management, investment)
- Accounting experience (not-for-profit)
- Post-Secondary Education sector experience
- Mental Health and Addictions/Medical background
- Participation/oversight of major capital builds
- HR/Labour relations
- Political Awareness
Recommendations to the Board for approval of candidates are timed as needed to address upcoming vacancies. Nevertheless, the Governance Committee accepts applications for its evergreen list of potential candidates for future consideration. Board terms are typically three years and commence with the start of the Board term (July 1).
If you are interested in serving on the Board of Governors, we invite you to follow these steps to apply:
- Complete and submit the Board of Governors Candidate Skills Matrix Form
- Submit a current Resume or C.V. to the Secretary to the Board via email at [email protected].
For further information on the process, please review the Policy for Approval of Board Members.