You’re just a few steps away from joining us! Below you will find important information on the application process for senior students.
Tuition Fees Exemption
If you are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant who has reached the age of 60 years as of the first day of classes in any term, you are exempt from paying the tuition portion of fees (regulatory and supplementary fees are payable). This exemption does not apply to the following:
- Performance-based classes (unless it is a core course for the degree program)
- Off-campus courses; and reading, thesis, and other individually directed courses
- Subsequent registrations for a course if a grade of 60 per cent or higher has been earned
- The Accelerated Second-Degree program in Computer Science
For a full breakdown of the fees, visit our Tuition & Fees page.
Application Procedures for Senior Citizens
Although most of your costs are waived, you are still required to submit an application and meet entrance requirements. There are a number of options that you may choose from:
- Degree: If you wish to gain credit for all your courses and possibly obtain a degree, apply using our Online Application Tool.
- Second Degree: If you already have a first degree and wish to gain credit for all of your courses and possibly obtain a second degree, apply using our Online Application Tool. If it is determined that you are admissible, a program chart outlining your required courses will be issued to you.
- Non Degree: If you would like to take a few courses for credit but not obtain a degree at this time*, apply as a Non-Degree Student using our Online Application Tool. You will be graded and exams and assignments will be required. Select “Non Degree” for both the Degree and Program within the application.
- Auditing: If you would like to take courses only for personal interest while not receiving credit, with no exams or assignments, you can apply as an Auditing Student. You would be responsible for paying half the cost of tuition, plus full regulatory and supplementary fees. Select “Non Degree” for both the Degree and Program within the application. Upon payment of fees, advise the Student Accounts Office that you would like to be classified as an Auditing Student.
*If in the future, you wish to have credits obtained as non-degree student transferred into a degree, simply contact the Admissions Office to declare your degree program.
How to Apply
Before applying, check out our Course Schedules to see a list of upcoming courses.
Senior citizens can apply directly to Algoma U using our Online Application Tool. You can request a paper application or an appointment for assistance with applying by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning 705-949-2301 ext. 4280.
- Complete the Algoma U Online Application Tool
- Send official transcripts (college, and university if applicable).
- Send non-refundable $70 (CDN funds) application fee payable to Algoma U.
Please send documents to:
Admissions – Algoma University
1520 Queen Street East
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada