Diversity & Equity Speaker Series
Throughout the fall and into the winter, Algoma University will be hosting a speaker series, aimed at promoting a safe and inclusive campus and community, titled The Diversity & Equity Speaker Series.
The Diversity & Equity Speaker Series aims to provide a space to reflect and gain practical tools needed to advance equity and inclusion on campus and within the wider community by promoting cultural competency and critical thinking.
Four speakers will deliver keynotes from 2018 – 2019 on various topics. Each speaker comes from a diverse social background and is an expert in providing diversity and equity training.
Each keynote speaker will provide two presentations: one keynote presentation for the Sault Ste Marie community that is open to the public and another for the Algoma U internal community. Dates for each follows.
Coinciding with the Diversity & Equity Speaker Series, is the Diverse Film/Diverse Book series. The Arthur A. Wishart Library will be showing various films and advertising books and novels with themes of diversity.
For more information or to RSVP, please contact the Academic Librarian, Lisl Schoner-Saunders, at [email protected] or call 705.949.2301, Ext. 4614
Algoma U Internal Community Presentations*:
- October 17, 2018: Dr. Carl James
- November 7, 2018: Dr. Deborah Lee
- January 23, 2019: Dr. Beverley Bain
- February 27, 2018: Dr. Meena Sharify-Funk
* Each internal community presentation takes place from 11:30am – 1:00pm in the Shingwauk Auditorium.
Community Public Keynotes**:
- November 6, 2018: Dr. Deborah Lee: “Honouring and Preserving Indigenous Knowledge through the Indigenous Studies Portal: A Research Tool for Everyone”
- January 22, 2019: Dr. Beverley Bain: “Gendered Racism and the White Neoliberal University”
- February 26, 2018: Dr. Meena Sharify-Funk: Title TBA
** Each keynote takes place at 7:00pm in EW205.