Information for Employers
Why Algoma and Who are Algoma Students? Want to become ALL IN with Algoma university?
Algoma University is the smallest university in Ontario and the only post-secondary institution in the province strictly for undergraduate students, offering a range of degrees, spanning the liberal arts, sciences, and professional degrees. Established in 1965, and located on the former site of the Shingwauk Indian Residential School, Algoma has a special mission to provide cross-cultural learning between Indigenous communities and other communities in Northern Ontario, and has been educating the north for over 50 years.
While our main campus is located in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario in the heart of the Great Lakes. We also offer customized programming in Timmins and Brampton, designed to meet the needs of the surrounding populations.
Our promise to our students is one-on-one interactions and hands-on experience with our knowledgeable and caring faculty, in the goal of achieving their success. Our circular perspective encourages students to defy the ordinary and explore new experiential ways of learning. At Algoma, innovative and creative ways of knowing and being are given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.
Benefits for Employers
Co-op students provide the following benefits to employers and their organizations:
- Co-op students are motivated and committed short-term employees that can fill temporary human resource needs such as staff leaves, peak work periods or short-term and special projects.
- Reduced training costs. Students receive on-campus training prior to their first placement and upper year students will have completed co-op placements introducing them to a business environment.
- Hiring co-op students demonstrates your organization’s interest in developing the potential of young professionals.
- Co-operative Education Tax Credit is available to employers who hire students enrolled in a co-operative education program at an Ontario University. Corporations can claim 25 percent of eligible expenditures (30 percent for small businesses), with a maximum credit for each placement at $3,000.
Services for Employers
Algoma University’s Co-op Office provides the following services for employers and their organizations:
- Assist in creating targeted co-op job position postings.
- Post your position on our internal job board.
- Collect resumes and send to the employer one day after the closing date.
- Monitor student performance, ensuring both the employer’s and student’s needs are being met.
If you are an employer and interested in exploring Co-operative Education at Algoma U, please download the Co-op Employer Manual (PDF).
Why Algoma University and who are Algoma University students?
Algoma University is the smallest university in Ontario. With only 1600 students, we take pride in providing our students with a quality undergraduate education. With small class sizes capped at 65 students, our professors get to know our students on a first-name basis and can speak truthfully about our students’ work ethics and their personality. We strive for student success and equipping our students with the knowledge, skills, talent, and traits needed to survive and thrive in the competitive global business world. By employing our students in your organization, you are helping our students reach their academic dreams and career aspirations, by providing them with vital hands-on experience, which will build and enhance their resumes, and also help them grow their network of connections.
Our students are caring and compassionate, and enthusiastic and passionate about their education. Most importantly, our students are professional, well-prepared, proficient, and genuine. Employers are constantly impressed with the quality of our students, the quality of our Co-operative Education program, and our community support. Our students are an asset to any agency and organization.
Connecting with Algoma University students
The Career Centre offers a variety of recruitment strategies to help you connect with the students and new graduates you want to reach. These include:
- Job postings
- Co-operative education
- Career fairs
- Networking events
- Information booths
Organizations can reach Algoma University’s students using our free online job posting board that allows you to post jobs in a hassle-free and easy manner.
What types of opportunities can I post?
- Part-time jobs
- Full-time jobs
- Co-operative education positions
- Summer jobs
- On-campus jobs
- Volunteer positions
- Paid and Unpaid Internships
- Bilingual positions
- International positions
Trainings for Employers
- 2SLGBTQ+ Diversity & Inclusion – Creating a Welcoming and Accessible Workplace by The Canadian Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- LGBTQ2+ Workplace Inclusion Certificate by Pride at Work Canada
- OHRC and HRPA webinar on preventing sexual harassment at work
- Preventing discrimination because of mental health disabilities and addictions
- Preventing discrimination because of pregnancy and breastfeeding
- OHRC and HRPA webinar on a human rights approach to COVID-19