Home > Housing


As an Algoma University student at any of our campuses, we want to ensure you are prepared with the resources and information you need to make an informed decision that is best for you!

Be prepared, stay updated from trusted sources, stay calm, and access the many resources available for a smooth transition to your new home! Please note that there are currently no on-campus housing options available at our GTA and Timmins campuses.

If not living in on campus residence (Sault Ste Marie), or in homestay with Canada Homestay Network, Algoma University has no direct or indirect affiliation with any other housing organizations or listing websites. Algoma University does not assume any responsibility for off-campus leases and agreements.

Travelling internationally to Canada?

Greater Toronto Area (GTA)

SSM Residence
Sault Ste. Marie

Timmins Campus


A: The Landlord and Tenant Board works to:

    • resolve disputes between landlords and tenants through mediation or adjudication
    • resolve eviction applications from co-ops
    • provide information to landlords and tenants about their rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancies Act
  • Landlord Tenant Board

A: The standard lease uses easy-to-understand language to help:

  • landlords and renters understand their rights and responsibilities
  • reduce illegal terms in leases and misunderstandings caused by verbal tenancy agreements
  • Ontario has adopted a standard form of residential lease, and is the only valid lease in the province.  Forms of residential leases that are not this form, are not valid leases.

Many landlords will want you to sign a “standard” one year lease. Click here for more resources.

A: Some rental leases will include “utilities” (electricity/water/heat) and some will not.

For example:

  • $500/month all inclusive (no separate utility bills)
  • $350/month plus utilities (you pay your own water bill and electric bill)
  • Heat is generally always included (but you should still ask)

Rent Lingo: Apartment Terms

A: Landlord’s often ask for a “rent deposit”, also known as last month’s rent. This protects them and you, in case you decide you want to break your lease. 

The Rent Deposit cannot be used to pay for damages in a unit.

Click here for more resources.

Tip sheet for Tenants – Rent Deposits (Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario)

A: A rent receipt is a document that indicates rent/deposit payments from a tenant to a landlord. A Landlord is required to provide a tenant with receipts for rent or for any payment or deposit given to the Landlord, if the tenant so asks. A Landlord cannot charge for providing these receipts. (click here for more information)

Required Information in a rent receipt

  • Address of the rental unit
  • Name of the tenant(s)
  • Amount and date for each payment and what the payment was for
  • Name of the Landlord
  • Signature of the Landlord or the Landlord’s agent
Upcoming Housing Information Events

Looking for upcoming events on the topic of housing? Check out the AU Events Calendar!

View Calendar