First Year Domestic Students
Not sure where to start after accepting your offer? We're here to help! On this page, you will find a step-by-step guide to help you get started.
Set up your student portal. The link to do this is in the Welcome email you received after accepting your offer (it was sent to your personal email). If already done, go to the next step.
Don’t have the Welcome email? Go to students.algomau.ca and click on “Having Problems Logging In?”. This self-serve option will help you out.
Students with documented disabilities may choose to do a reduced course load. If this is something that will benefit you, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org to meet with an advisor to determine the best courses for you to take.
Wondering how you can register for accessibility services? Please make sure to also visit our Accessibility Services web page for more information.
Now it’s time to choose your courses. Click on a degree button below to see suggested first year courses by program. Please note that these are only suggested courses.
- Bachelor of Arts (PDF)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (PDF)
- Computer Science (PDF)
- Bachelor of Sciences (PDF)
- Bachelor of Social Work (PDF)
Step 5A: Register for classes and pay deposit through student portal (or defer if OSAP or Band funded)
- Click here to access your student portal: students.algomau.ca
- Click on Academics tab and then Online Registration and then Information. The Information tab gives you steps to register and has a checklist of information about you. Make sure the correct boxes are checked.
- Click on Select Courses.
- Choose the semester you are registering for.
- Select courses.
- Once courses are chosen, click on My Backpack tab to verify that the courses appear there.
NOTE: students cannot change courses themselves after they have submitted. Will have to email email@example.com to make changes.
Step 5B: Deposit payment
The deposit for one semester is $200. If you are registering courses for two semesters at the same time, the deposit is $400.00.
Your deposit can be paid by Credit Card when you reach the “Pay Deposit” tab in your Online Registration.
- Are you an OSAP student? Students who have a complete OSAP application submitted by June 30th are exempt from paying the deposit. When you reach the “Pay Deposit” section you must select the “OSAP” option and complete the OSAP Confirmation Declaration to complete your registration
- Are you band funded? Students who have a sponsorship letter received by Algoma University are exempt from paying the deposit. When you reach the “Pay Deposit” section you must select the “Sponsor” option and complete the Sponsor Confirmation Declaration to complete your registration.
In your student portal, click on the tab “Academics” and then “Summary” to view your academic summary/timetable to ensure all of your classes are listed. If something doesn’t look right and your courses aren’t appearing, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations on registering for your classes. Your next step is to learn about the transition to university. The following links will provide you with a great deal of information on supports and services.
Academic Advising: email@example.com
Registrar’s Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial Aid Office: email@example.com
Accessibility Services and Learning Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Success: email@example.com
Financial Aid: https://www.algomau.ca/students/financial-aid/osap-goverment-aid/
Accessibility Services: https://www.algomau.ca/students/student-success/the-learning-centre/accessibility-services/
Student Portal Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHiH89MBOj8
Student Cards: https://www.algomau.ca/it-services/ (click on each campus FAQs)
Parking Pass: Parking passes are purchased at the beginning of each semester. You can purchase your parking pass at NW307 or through your student portal under the “Profile” tab: students.algomau.ca. The pass costs $100 per semester, or $5.00 to exit without a parking pass.
Access AU email: Your Algoma U email is our main way of communicating with you so you need to check it every day (even multiple times a day!) https://www.algomau.ca/it-services/
Supports and Resources:
Health Services: https://www.algomau.ca/health-services/
Academic Supports: https://www.algomau.ca/students/student-success/the-learning-centre/academic-assistance/
Library: https://library.algomau.ca/ and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkGzQmkGfxHmjYFaqHXTXQ
Strategies for Success: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mknuNBTs32o
Jobs on Campus: Any jobs on campus are posted on your Student Portal under Resources and Job Opportunities.
Exchange Program: https://www.algomau.ca/academics/exchange/
Academic Calendar: https://www.algomau.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2019AcademicCalendarupdated.pdf
Algoma University Student Union (AUSU): http://www.ausu82.ca/about-ausu.html
Shingwauk Anishinaabe Student Association (SASA): https://www.algomau.ca/students/anishinaabe-students/shingwauk-anishinaabe-students-association/
Anishinaabe Student Handbook: https://www.algomau.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/anish-student-handbook-1.pdf