Home > Students > International Students > Health Insurance

Mandatory Health Insurance Plan for International Students

International students who study at one of Ontario's Post-Secondary Institutions are mandated by the government to be enrolled in UHIP. The Student VIP (Health & Dental Plan) plan is a supplementary plan that works in combination with UHIP to ensure students have coverage where UHIP does not.

In order to be eligible for your Student VIP, you must have UHIP.

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

UHIP provides insurance to cover the cost of hospital and medical services that students or employees and their families might need to maintain their health while studying and working at an Ontario university in Canada.

UHIP is a basic and primary health plan that covers the following services:

  • Hospital services such as emergency room services, non-emergency hospitalization, etc.;
  • Physician services (for example: annual health examination, diagnosis or treatment of illness and injuries, care related to pregnancy, etc.);
  • Diagnostic and x-ray services, vaccinations, emergency ambulances, etc.; and
  • Routine eye examinations for persons under 20 years of age.

All full-time international undergraduate students under the age of 75 who are registered in a minimum of 12 credits each semester (fall & winter) by September 30th are automatically enrolled for AUSU health and dental coverage. Those who are eligible can opt-in their dependents or opt-out of the plan during the allotted opt-out period found on the Student VIP website.

The AUSU health and dental plan covers the following services:

  • Prescription drugs (medication)
  • Dentist visits
  • Eye exams, glasses and contact lenses
  • Physiotherapy, chiropractor and more
  • Accident coverage
  • Travel coverage

Drop by the AUSU office (Townhouse 10) any time for any of these services or general questions or [email protected].

  • Pick up your health plan card
  • Assistance with making a claim online
  • Pick up forms
  • Purchase coverage for your spouse and/or dependents
  • Inquire about opt-out process

UHIP is a basic and primary health plan that does not cover:

  • Routine eye examinations for persons between the ages of 20 and 64. Eyeglasses, frames and/or contact lenses;
  • Dental care services, unless considered “Emergency Dental” and specified under “Expenses UHIP pays for”;
  • Drugs, whether prescribed or not (unless administered during a hospital stay);
  • Extended Health Care Services such as Chiropractor treatment, Massage Therapy and/or Physiotherapy; and
  • Acupuncture procedures.

For a complete listing of services not covered please visit the UHIP website.

Students are billed for their UHIP coverage through student accounts upon registration. Be sure to check your student account at the beginning of your academic year.

Please note that dependant(s) are not automatically enrolled in UHIP. To enroll your eligible dependant(s) family member(s) you must contact [email protected]

Members can now print their own proof of UHIP coverage, print Claim Forms, and check the status and details of a claim. UHIP no longer prints and provides cards.

You can register for UHIP today by following these simple steps:

Register for UHIP today by following these simple steps:

  • Go to the Sun Life Financial website and click “Register”.
  • Select “Register-benefits plan”.
  • Input personal information under “My Information”:
  • Start by entering your account/policy information (Algoma U’s policy number is 050150)
  • Date of birth
  • Current Canadian postal code
  • Member ID (your Algoma Universty student number, for example, AU123696500)
  • Access ID and Password
  • Select the method by which you would like to receive your password (by mail, or electronically, if available).  You can select your email address as your preferred ID.
  • Select “Submit”
  • A temporary password will be emailed to you after you select submit at the bottom of the screen. The email will also provide you with instructions on how to change your password.
  • After submitting you will receive a confirmation screen. This is your access ID and not your coverage card.
  • Confirmation
  • Print a copy of your access ID
  • Select “Print”

Go to the Sun Life Financial website

  • Enter your access ID and password (new password chosen by you following instructions in the email you received with your temporary password)
  • Click “Sign In”
  • Select my coverage from the “My Health and Well-being Box”
  • In the Resources tab, click “Print my Coverage Card”
  • Your card will be displayed.  Print, fold and carry with you at all times

Fill out a UHIP claim form. It is recommended to take a claim form with you when you use medical services. The claim form is available at the Registrar’s Office, or it can be or downloaded from the UHIP website. Submit the completed claim form and original receipts or invoices to Sun Life within 12 months of receiving the service. Keep photocopies of everything you submit. Claims take approximately two – three weeks to process. If you require assistance to submit UHIP claims, please contact [email protected] or visit the plan administrator in the Office of the Registrar.

If you withdraw from school, your coverage will be automatically cancelled from the day you withdraw. If you withdraw due to illness or injury, contact the Registrar’s Office to apply to reinstate your coverage. If you withdraw for reasons other than illness or injury, you are required to return your proof of coverage to the Registrar’s Office. Further use of the insurance is fraudulent. Apply to the Registrar’s Office to be considered for a partial refund of your premium. For more information, please email [email protected]

If you transfer to another Ontario university, you will have UHIP coverage through your new university. To avoid paying at both universities, contact the Registrar’s Office to cancel your UHIP as soon as you know you are transferring.

No. You are required to have health insurance from your exchange university or host country. Contact the Registrar’s Office to adjust your UHIP coverage as soon as your exchange is confirmed.

International students may extend their UHIP coverage for a maximum of 60 days after the last period of academic study. This normally occurs when a student wishes to stay in Ontario past their academic term for travel or graduation purposes only. Students can apply for this extended coverage at the end of the term and pay at the Registrar’s Office.

In an emergency, dial 9-1-1. No money is needed to call 9-1-1 from payphones. If you are hospitalized for more than 48 hours, it is important to notify Sun Life Financial as soon as possible at 1-866-500-UHIP (1-866-500-8447). Sun Life Financial has worked closely with Ontario hospitals to establish a preferred hospital network that assists members by reducing their out-of-pocket expenses.

In a non-emergency, telephone Telehealth Ontario or visit a medical clinic. To call Telehealth Ontario, call 1-866-797-0000. Telehealth is a free, confidential telephone service you can call to get health advice or general health information from a Registered Nurse. Based on the assessment, the Registered Nurse can advise self-care, recommend a visit to a health practitioner, or give you the phone numbers of community resources nearest you.

Medical clinics that you can visit include:

  • Family Medicine and Drop-in Clinic: Market Mall, 275 Second Line W. Tel. (705) 256-8585.
  • Sault Area Hospital: 750 Great Northern Road Tel. (705) 759-3434, or visit the Sault Area Hospital.
  • Station Mall Walk in Clinic: 293 Bay Street Tel. (705) 450-1715.