Benefits of Early Access Program
The program allows students to:
- Complete university courses, while still in secondary school, that will count towards a post-secondary degree or certificate at Algoma University;
- Have an experience that will assist in a successful transition from secondary school to post-secondary;
- Increase their awareness of the various course and degree options available;
- Gain a greater insight into education and career planning decisions; and
- Opens opportunity for students to make meaningful and relevant educational choices while preserving a common core of learning.
What Can I Study?
A range of first-year course options are available for you to choose from including:
- Business: Financial Accounting, Intro to Canadian Business, Commercial Law, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics
- Society: Community Economic & Social Development, Critical Thinking, Anthropology, Philosophy
- Science & Tech: Games Marketplace, Forensic Science, Computer Applications, Psychology
- Language: French Communication and Culture, Anishinaabemowin, Algoma Reads, Italian
To view courses that are available under the program, Spring 2021 course options (PDF)
Early Access Program Eligibility
Eligibility to participate in the EAP includes:
- Must be currently attending secondary school affiliated with the Huron Superior Catholic District School Board (HSCDSB) or the Algoma District School Board (ADSB).
- Full-time student status with a high school diploma in progress;
- 16 years of age or older at the time of enrolment in a program-eligible course;
- Minimum overall average of 80% in Grade 11 or Grade 12, including mid-term grades;
- Registered in sufficient courses to fulfil the admission requirements of AU;
- Meets AU’s English language proficiency requirements;
- Receipt of a letter of recommendation from their teacher, councillor, or high school principal;
If you meet all of the above requirements and are interested in enrolling in the Early Access Program, please contact email@example.com for further application instructions.
Important Thing To Note
Students will not be allowed to complete more than 6 credits of courses at AU while attending secondary school. Students who are allowed to participate in the program must comply with the same academic policies and regulations of the university as regular AU students including but not limited to attendance, punctuality, regular participation in class discussion, and completion of all term work essential in obtaining a satisfactory grade.
Credit for the course(s) studied in this program may be applied towards a degree or certificate program at Algoma University if a passing grade is obtained and if the student satisfies the institutional admission requirements.
This is a competitive program with a limited enrolment of four secondary school students allowed in any one university course – early registration is encouraged.
Register for the Early Access Program
Step 1: Take a look at our Spring 2021 course options and descriptions for the upcoming term
Step 2: Fill out the EAP Application Form (fillable online)
Step 3: Contact your guidance counselor to receive your letter of reference and transcript and then submit them to the form below OR email supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org