Congratulations on your upcoming exciting adventure!
Now you have been accepted to exchange/study abroad programs, it is important to prepare your journey in a timely manner to ensure that you track and meet all responsibilities outlined below.
After you have been accepted to the exchange program:
- Accept your candidacy by sending an email to [email protected]
- Apply to your host institution and wait to receive your acceptance letter from that institution. Application instructions will be forwarded to you either by the partner institution or by the Study Abroad Officer after nomination. The deadline to submit your application to the host institution will vary depending on which semester (Fall or Winter) you will be starting your studies.
- Attend mandatory Pre-departure Orientation Session
- Obtain your passport/ensure your passport is valid.
- Apply for any required study permits/travel visas from the appropriate Embassy or High Commission
- Meet with your faculty advisor/study abroad officer to plan your course selection
- Register for pre-selected courses at Algoma
Before you leave on exchange:
- Research your housing options and make appropriate arrangements.
- Make travel arrangements. We recommend you do not book flights until you have received your official letter of acceptance from the host institution.
- Research and plan your budget. Tuition will be paid to Algoma University but your host institution may require other mandatory fees. Travel and living expenses are the responsibilities of the student.
- Make arrangements to pay your Algoma University tuition fees.
- OSAP: Submit required documents to the Financial Aids Office.
- Research and purchase insurance. As an AU full time student, you are eligible for International & Out-of-Province Emergency Medical Plan under your StudentVIP (i.e. emergency travel, medical and assistance services) as part of your health & dental plan while studying abroad. If you wish to purchase more comprehensive coverage, please consider purchasing the insurance through the host institution
Check Travel Advisories. Register online with the Government of Canada “Registration of Canadians Abroad” service.
During your exchange
- Send a check in email to the Study Abroad Officer once arrived at the host institution
- Send an official course registration form to ensure that the registered courses match with the courses that are registered at AlgomaU
- Upload one social media posting to highlight your study abroad experience after 1 month of arrival at the host country/institution
After completing your exchange:
- Pay all outstanding fees owed to your host institution
- Send unofficial copy of transcripts by email, and arrange for an official transcript to be sent directly to the Study Abroad Officer.
After you come back from your exchange:
- Participate in a mandatory one-on-one exit interview
- Submit one page of reflection letter outlining how your study abroad experience impacted your perspectives in life worldviews and academic & career aspirations during the exit interview with the Study Abroad Officer
- Register for Exchange Alumni Peer Group to provide mentorship to prospective exchange students(inbound/outbound)
If your plans change at any time and you decide that you no longer wish to study abroad, you must notify the Study Abroad Officer of your withdrawal as soon as possible by contacting [email protected]
Please ensure to check your Algoma U email address regularly as you prepare for exchange and during your exchange period to ensure you do not miss any correspondence from Algoma University