To inspire all alumni to share in a lifelong commitment, pride and passion for Algoma University.
The Alumni Council will provide a leadership role in the areas of: nurturing lifelong alumni relationships, community relationship building, fund raising and assisting with student recruitment and retention activities.
The mission of the Algoma University Alumni Council is to encourage lifelong relationships with graduates of Algoma University by encouraging their active participation in campus initiatives, events and partnerships, with a goal of promoting and advancing the interest, influence and usefulness of the university as it becomes a university of international distinction.
The Alumni Council Members
The Alumni Council is an advisory council comprised of members representing all Algoma University alumni, along with current student representatives.
Alumni Council Chair - BBA (Accounting) 2007
BA (Sociology) 2016, BSW 2021
BBA (Accounting) 2007
BBA (Marketing), 2008
BA (Economics) 1998
BA (Psychology) 1989
Ex-Officio, Administrative Assistant
Algoma U Today Magazine
Algoma U Today is published twice a year by Algoma University for the University’s alumni, faculty, staff and friends.
The magazine will keep you informed about the activities and accomplishments of alumni, faculty and students, and about significant issues and developments within the university community.
Select Edition to View
As a benefit to you, we have partnered with Johnson Inc., one of Canada’s leading home and auto insurance provider, to offer our members access to the Preferred Service Home-Auto Plan (PS Plan).
Johnson Inc. has been in the insurance business for 125 years and they have the experience and expertise necessary to provide our members with complete and comprehensive insurance products.
As a member of the PS Plan, you will receive a number of special service advantages. For more information on Johnson Inc. and the PS Plan please contact them directly at www.johnson.ca or call toll free 1-800-563-0677.
The Arthur A. Wishart Library provides access to a well-rounded collection of books, electronic resources periodicals, government documents and audio visual media to support the program of study at Algoma University.
The Wishart Library is a full member of the Ontario Council of University Libraries and the Canadian Research Knowledge Network , which is the national level university library consortium and resource sharing network. The library is also a selective depository for both provincial (Ontario) and federal (Canada) governments.
Books in the general and reference collections are shelved in accordance with the Library of Congress Classification (LCC) system used in most academic libraries. Periodicals are shelved alphabetically by title, government document call numbers are based on government catalogue numbers.
Please visit the Arthur A. Wishart Library website for more information.
As an Algoma U alumni member you can continue to have access to the resources of the Arthur A. Wishart Library by purchasing your Registered Reader’s card for $20.00.
For more information contact the Circulation Dept. at 705-949-2301, ext.4615 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The GLC offers a wide range of membership options for those looking to improve their personal fitness level or participate in the many recreational opportunities available at the facility. As an Algoma U alumni member you will enjoy GLC memberships at great discounted rates. Memberships are available in four, eight and twelve month increments.
For a full breakdown of membership fees, please visit our Thunderbirds Memberships webpage.
Memberships are available to those 13 and older with great rates available on all annual family membership options!
For further information regarding memberships to the facility, please contact our Membership Services Co-ordinator at (705) 949-2301, ext. 4514.
All records maintained by Algoma University Advancement and External Relations are considered confidential and cannot be released without the permission of individuals concerned. Advancement and External Relations does not sell, trade, nor give away contact lists to other organizations.
We do however have contracts with companies (affinity partners) who provide services and offer competitive rates and personal assistance to Algoma University alumni and friends. These contracts not only provide a valuable service to our alumni, but also generate revenue to Algoma University. All affinity partners have signed agreements to keep your information confidential and limited to the service they have agreed to provide. From time to time, Advancement and External Relations may contact individuals on our contact list iwth information about Algoma U, services, membership in the George Leach Centre, special events and fundraising.
The Alumni Council will be an active partner, working with the Algoma U Foundation and staff, to create and grow the relationship between Algoma University and alumni for the purposes of providing support to the University.
The Alumni Council will be comprised of 12 members and will include:
- Past Chair
- A cross section of Algoma U Alumni
- Anishnaabe Alumni
- International Alumni
- 3 positions will be for current students representing AUSU, SASA and a student at large. These positions will have voting privileges.
- Alumni & Development Officer (ex-officio on all committees)
- Membership will include 1, 2 and 3 year rotating terms.
- Terms will be based on the calendar year and will coincide with elections to the Algoma U Foundation Board of Directors
- Members are not restricted to one term and may in fact renew their commitment to continue to serve on the Alumni Council at the completion of their existing term.
- Alumni Council leadership will serve for a minimum of 5 years and will progress through the following positions: Vice Chair, Chair (2 years) and Past Chair.
- Membership on the Alumni Council requires active involvement and regular attendance at Alumni Council meetings. Absence from four or more Alumni Council meetings in a calendar year will indicate an inability to continue in the role as an Alumni Council member. (A member who is not able to regularly attend Alumni Council meetings will be given the option to become a member of a sub-committee).
- Members of the Alumni Council will demonstrate leadership to their fellow alums, and support for their alma matter through their annual support of the Algoma University Annual Campaign.
- The Chair of the Alumni Council will sit on the Algoma U Foundation in an ex-officio capacity and will serve as the link between the Alumni Council and the Algoma U Foundation
- Members of the Alumni Council will include a cross representation of graduates from each respective decade.
- Each year current students from AUSU, SASA and a Student-at-Large will be recruited to sit on the Alumni Council. These positions will have voting privileges.
- The Alumni Council will serve to build lifelong relationships with Algoma U Alumni and will assist the Algoma U Foundation by engaging Alumni to support the university in terms of their time, talent and financial resources.
Algoma U Alumni Gives Back to the Community Through Volunteerism and Award Winning Business
Posted Oct 21, 2021
As a life-long resident of Sault Ste. Marie who grew up in poverty, facing many different struggles along the way,...