Ethics and Procedures
The Research Ethics Board (REB) vets research involving human subjects, under the University Senate’s Research Ethics Policy.
The purpose of this Policy is to create a research environment in which the University’s responsibilities towards Human Participants involved in research are discharged in accordance with the highest ethical standards; to promote awareness and understanding of such standards among members or associated members of the University; to articulate clearly the Tri-Council Core Ethical Principles applicable to research in a manner consistent with the most current version of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans and with international best practices; and to establish an independent research ethics review process.
2021-2022 Research Ethics Board Membership
- Dr. Dwayne Keough (Chair)
- Dr. Miguel Garcia-Ruiz (Faculty Member)
- Dr. Nicola Shaw (Faculty Member)
- Dr. Rose Cameron (Indigenous Expert)
- Adrienne Hagan (Relevant Law)
- Tammy Ryan (Community Member)
To contact the team, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021-2022 Research Ethics Board Meetings
September 20, 2021
October 28, 2021
November 18, 2021
December 16, 2021
For information regarding research policies, please navigate to our Policies and Procedures section.
The Animal Care Committee is Algoma University’s regulatory committee responsible for the ethical assessment of all protocols for animal care and use in research and teaching. As a committee of the university Senate, the Animal Care Committee is comprised of a veterinarian, animal users, non-animal users, as well as student and community representatives. This broad base of membership provides diversity of expertise and insight.
All research or teaching that involves animals must go through Algoma University’s Animal Care Committee to obtain ethical approval prior to any project commencing.
2021-2022 Animal Care Committee Membership
- William Dew (Chair)
- Shannon Rowell–Garvon (ACC Coordinator)
- Rodney Jouppi (Veterinarian)
- Cindy Ross (Community Member)
- Jennifer Foote (Animal User)
- Laurie Bloomfield (Past Chair & Resource)
- Miguel Garcia (Non-Animal User)
- Donna Rogers (Vice President Academic & Research)
To contact the committee, email email@example.com