Ethics and Procedures
The Research Ethics Board (REB) vets research involving human subjects, under the University Senate’s Research Ethics Policy.
The purpose of this Policy is to create a research environment in which the University’s responsibilities towards Human Participants involved in research are discharged in accordance with the highest ethical standards; to promote awareness and understanding of such standards among members or associated members of the University; to articulate clearly the Tri-Council Core Ethical Principles applicable to research in a manner consistent with the most current version of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans and with international best practices; and to establish an independent research ethics review process.
The Board comprises:
- One community representative with no formal affiliation with the university;
- Three university members from different disciplines with broad expertise in the methods or in areas of research covered by the Research Ethics Board (research involving human participants or the use of human tissue); and
- One university member with broad knowledge in ethics or experience in the evaluation of ethical implications of research involving human participants.
2020-2021 Research Ethics Board Membership
- Dr. Michael Graydon, Chair
- Dr. Kelly Deluca
- Dr. Miguel Garcia
- Dr. Laura Wyper
- Dr. Dwayne Keough
- Dr. Paulette Steeves
- Dr. Jean-Marc Bellanger
To contact the team, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2020-2021 Research Ethics Board Meetings
- December 11, 2020
- January 29, 2021
- February 26, 2021
- March 19, 2021
- April 30, 2021
- All meetings will be on Fridays from 1pm – 2pm.
For information regarding research policies, please navigate to our Policies and Procedures section.
The Animal Care Committee is Algoma University’s regulatory committee responsible for the ethical assessment of all protocols for animal care and use in research and teaching. As a committee of the university Senate, the Animal Care Committee is comprised of a veterinarian, animal users, non-animal users, as well as student and community representatives. This broad base of membership provides diversity of expertise and insight.
All research or teaching that involves animals must go through Algoma University’s Animal Care Committee to obtain ethical approval prior to any project commencing.
2019-2020 Animal Care Committee Membership
- Laurie Bloomfield (chair)
- Shannon Rowell–Garvon (ACC Coordinator)
- Rodney Jouppi (veterinarian)
- Jennifer Foote (animal user)
- Cindy Ross (community member)
- Lacey (back up community member)
- Miguel Garcia (non-animal user)
William Dew (animal user)
Istvan Imre (animal user)
Pedro Antunes (Research Office)
- To contact the committee, email email@example.com.