English Language Requirements
Proof of English language proficiency is required for international students to attend Algoma University.
One of the following minimum requirements must be met in order to be eligible for direct undergraduate admission:
- CAEL (paper-based, computer edition, or online): 60
- Cambridge English Qualifications
- Overall 176, with no band below 169
- Duolingo English Test (DET) –
- Overall 110 (including no individual band below 90)
- IELTS Academic (including IELTS Online)
- 6.0 overall (including no individual band below 6.0)
- TOEFL: 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Computer or Home Editio)
- TOEFL applicants are required to submit their official result on the ETS Portal. The Algoma University institution code is 0820.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic & PTE Academic Online): 60
- ENG4U (OSSD) or ENGL12 (BC Curriculum): 3 years of full-time studies with a minimum grade of 70%
- College Transfer:
- 3 years of full-time studies in a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada or the USA
- Successful completion of a two or three-year diploma from a recognized Ontario College of Arts and Technology (a minimum of four semesters is required)
- 3 semesters of full-time studies (i.e., a minimum of 12 credits each semester) with a cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Internationally Recognized Curricula
- Students completing the International Baccalaureate, Cambridge or Pearson may be granted a waiver, provided they meet minimum academic results in their prescribed English courses.
- Completion of an English Language Pathway program
- To bypass the English Language Test requirement needed for admission to Algoma U, students may complete an English Language program with one of our many spectacular English Language Pathway partners.