The World Awaits You
Algoma University offers more than just a unique classroom experience. For students interested in taking their classroom experience to exotic destinations and foreign countries, they can take part in a variety of exchange program opportunities. Algoma U is committed to providing students with a cross-cultural learning experience, whether on campus, or somewhere else in the world.
There are countless benefits to studying abroad. Many of our students have cited their time abroad as being the most enlightening experience and the best part of their university degree. Below are just some of the benefits cited by those who have ventured abroad.
- Experiencing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Our exchange program allows students to experience what life is like in another country. It allows students the opportunity to travel and learn in a new country, which for many, may be an once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Learning a new language. While most Canadian students prefer choosing countries where English is the mother tongue, studying in a country where English is not dominant or widely spoken, provides students with the potential to develop new linguistic skills by being immersed in another language.
- Educational benefits. By studying abroad, students have the possibility to take courses which are not readily available at their home institution. They are also opened up to the new perspectives and ideas of their host country. While being immersed in a new culture, students have the opportunity to learn in different contexts, educational systems, and be opened to differing worldviews.
- Building your résumé. The skills, attributes, and new perspectives students gain while studying overseas, along with their willingness to venture outside of their comfort zone, helps with résumé building. Plus, students’ ability to work and succeed in a cross-cultural environment is particularly sought after into today’s competitive labour market in the global world.
- Affordable experience. Most are unaware that our exchange program is extremely affordable. Normally, international students pay double their regular tuition to study abroad. However, at Algoma University, students in our exchange program only pay their home tuition rate and standard fees. Plus the credits earned from their host institution will contribute towards their degree. The only added fees are airfare, accommodation, and spending money.
Exchange Program Opportunities
Exchange experiences come in all shapes and sizes, from as short as a few weeks to a full year, with many options in between. Find the right one for you!Explore
Summer Study Abroad
Can’t commit to a year abroad? No problem! Short-term summer study abroad programs are ideal for students with limited time and resources.Learn More
Consortial Exchange Programs
Consortial Exchange Programs is a group of Canadian and International post-secondary institutions that work together to encourage students to gain international academic experience by offering study and research abroad programs across disciplines and countries around the world.Learn More
Collaborative Online International Learning Virtual Exchange
COIL-VE (Collaborative Online International Learning Virtual Exchange) is one specific pedagogy within the umbrella of virtual exchange. It is a new teaching and learning paradigm that promotes the development of intercultural competence across shared multicultural learning environments. COIL-VE provides accessibility to those students, especially underrepresented student groups, who may not be able to travel to another country for quality international learning opportunities.Learn More
Studying abroad allows for cross-cultural and experiential learning.
International Internship Opportunities
International Internships are another great way to gain experience related to students’ degree programs by applying their academic knowledge and critical thinking skills in work environments.Learn More
Learn more about the steps you need to take in order to begin your adventure of studying abroad.
Once students have been accepted to exchange programs, it’s important for them to prepare their journey in a timely manner to ensure that they’re on track and meet all responsibilities.
“I feel so blessed to have had this opportunity to study abroad in Austria and to visit 13 countries. I am fortunate to have met so many amazing people, and to have had the chance to create my own little world with them. I feel that I have grown as an individual as well. I learned how to travel and I conquered my travel anxiety. I learned so much about cultures and different countries in the world, and I learned that I can do anything I want to do in this world. View Alexandria's blog ”
Berlingieri, Alexandra (BBA)
Austria, University of Applied Sciences Wiener Neustdt
“I had the wonderful opportunity of studying abroad in Seoul, South Korea. It was my dream to be able to live in and explore this beautiful country that is so rich in culture. I was able to learn more of the Korean language, expand my world view, and discover more about myself. I also got to meet up with past international students that I had met before at Algoma University and build new meaningful relationships with people from all over the world. Life in South Korea was never a dull moment, from walking among the tranquility of the beautiful cherry blossoms in the spring, to testing out new foods, and going sightseeing at numerous historical sites around the country. It was an experience that I will never forget. I will always be thankful to Algoma University for allowing me to take this opportunity.”
Sookmyung Women's University, South Korea
“I moved to Finland, explored countries, and places I would have never thought of traveling to. I experienced things, such as helping to put on Christmas party's at orphanages in Estonia. I am so grateful for having been able to engage in all of the experiences I have. I'm such a different person now, with different views, beliefs, and a different way of seeing the world and myself. I do not regret anything that I have done in my life because it has all taught me something and it has all lead me to where I am now. I hope that you all are happy and realize that you are where you need to be right now, and if you don't feel that you need to be where you are, try to change it, but realize that sometimes change takes time. Give yourself and the universe time. Things will be okay sooner or later if they're not okay now. Try to learn from your experiences and figure out why you are going through what you are going through!”
Finland, Tampere University
“I spent a semester near Vienna, Austria as an exchange student, resulting in one of the most exhilarating adventures of my life. In the four months spent in Europe, I became friends with people from around the world, was exposed to new and exciting cultures, attempted to learn foreign languages, travelled, tasted new foods, and ultimately gained a better understanding of myself.”
“My year abroad was the most exciting and exhilarating year of my life. It brought me to Perth, Western Australia, where I spent the year of 2010 studying Political Science at Murdoch University. I lived with seven roommates from around the world, played Australian Rules Football (AFL) and Varsity Basketball. I represented Algoma University at Murdoch’s International Exchange Day, got up close and personal with the Australian wildlife, learned to surf, tapped into the scenic culture of the Australian Western Coast and travelled to Sydney and Melbourne for exploration vacations. ”
“In another country, it’s really easy to have a good time, even if it’s just walking down the street to meet some of the friendly people. Along the way, you get to see so much culture. I can’t even get started on talking about how great the food is here (and cheap!). There is a saying in Korea 금수강산 which means “the beautiful lands of Korea . . . the beautiful lands, mountains, rivers and lakes”. It truly is a great place.”
"*" indicates required fields