Taking Care of Our Land Symposium May 2024
gdo akiiminaan ganawendanaan
The Department of Geography, Geology & Land Stewardship at Algoma University will host the fourth Taking Care of Our Land Symposium in May 2024. The purpose of the symposium is to explore, through research and best practices, the inclusion of cultural and traditional practices of land management, planning, and use for Indigenous communities in Northern Ontario.
• Academics – faculty, students (undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral)
• Practitioners – economic development, land management, community planners, community engagement, land claim negotiators
• Non-governmental organizations – Indigenous lands, environment or economic development organizations
• Government departments (municipal, provincial, federal)
• Band Council members and Community members (youth, women, and elders)
View the 2019 symposium program (PDF)
View the 2017 symposium program (PDF)
View the 2015 symposium program (PDF)
Algoma University has been given a very special mission, one that connects to its place on this historical site.
Algoma University is committed to being a welcoming, inclusive, safe, and respectful learning community; one that values the opportunities to learn from and with students, staff and visitors from all parts of the world. This is what makes Algoma University such a special place.LEARN MORE