What: HSE4M: Equity and Social Justice: From Theory to Practice
When: 2023 Course Coming Soon
Application Deadline: TBD
Cost: None! All costs are covered by Algoma University.
Class Size: Max 25
Delivery Method: Hybrid (both virtual and in-person options)
- Visit algomau.ca/apply
- Select (Term)
- Select Non-Degree (EASJ) as your program
- Upload a copy of your unofficial transcript or a copy of credit counseling summary. If you do not have this available to upload with your application, please continue to submit the application and email your documents to email@example.com with subject line “Dual Credit Transcript”.
- The application fee of $70 will be waived.
What to expect after you apply
The Admissions Office will review the submitted applications and Credit Counseling Summaries after the application period closes. Applicants will be notified via email on the status of their applications after this period.
Admitted students will be registered into the HSE4M course automatically and will receive confirmation emails. Tuition and ancillary fees will be waived for admitted students.
“Some of the terminology like critical theory and critical thinking, intersectionality, implicit bias, and oppression are words I may have heard before, but never really knew their true meaning. Also, issues like residential schools, white privilege, internalized racism, prejudice, discrimination and intersectionality through the issues of classism have really helped opened my eyes about the many issues that surround an individual.”
“The Equity and Social Justice course was a great experience for me as a high school student to experience post-secondary education... I learned so many things in a short period of time.”
“I felt really proud of myself after completing the course.” ”
Benefits of the Dual Credit Program
- No cost to admitted students
- Achievement of a grade 12 high school credit
- Achievement of 3-credit Social Science non-equivalent university credit (for use upon admission to Algoma University)*
- No cost experiential learning opportunities
- Opportunities to experience life as a university student – virtual campus tour, mock university lecture, workshops on student success, library skills, financial aid, and a graduation ceremony
- Potential for exceptional admission pathways for admission to Algoma University upon completion of the Dual Credit program.
* Students must obtain a grade of 70% or higher to qualify for the university credit
An opportunity to earn a Grade 12 course credit AND an Algoma University course credit at the same time through online learning, condensed format course delivery program.
HSE4M: Equity and Social Justice: From Theory to Practice
This course enables students to develop an understanding of the theoretical, social, and historical underpinnings of various equity and social justice issues and to analyse strategies for bringing about positive social change. Students will learn about historical and contemporary equity and social justice issues in Canada and globally. They will explore power relations and the impact of a variety of factors on equity and social justice. Students will develop and apply research skills and will design and implement a social action initiative relating to an equity or social justice issue.
Yes, students should be finishing their third or fourth year of high school in the Algoma District School Board or Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board. Additionally, students must have completed any university, college or university/college preparation course in Canadian and world studies, English or social science and humanities.
This program is designed for students who are:
- Finishing their third or fourth year of high school (Algoma District School Board or Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board)
- Not sure yet whether university is the right choice for them when they graduate
- Wondering what it’s like to be a university student
- Interested in equity and social justice and open to new experiences
- Interested in getting a Grade 12 credit AND an Algoma University credit FOR FREE