Be a resource, support, and friend to a new Algoma U International Student!
In spending a few hours a week with your mentee, help us to foster an environment of inclusion, community, and open mindedness.
Who can qualify to become a mentor?
- Domestic/international students who have been at Algoma University more than 1 year
- Domestic/international students who have a strong and positive sense of community and are willing to maintain a high level of student awareness
- Domestic/international students who are willing to supervise residents’ personal safety and well-being through assisting and referring students with academic, social, personal and disciplinary concerns
Basic expectations for mentor
- Make contact with your mentee during the first week of scheduled classes
- Attend the ASAP Orientation at the start of the semester
- Meet with your mentee for a minimum of 1 hour per week
- Submit a Time Sheet at the end of each month
- Attend 3 out of 4 planned ASAP events during the term
- Respond to the needs of your mentee
Other expectations for mentor
- Strive to establish a sense of community and inclusion
- Be an information source to international students
- Direct your mentee to the appropriate resource when necessary
- Maintain confidentiality in regards to all aspects of the position
- Bring issues pertaining to students to the attention of appropriate the ASAP Coordinator
- Conduct him/herself in a responsible manner at all times