Dr. Pedro M. Antunes
Executive Lead, Research
Office: CC 405
Dr. Pedro M. Antunes is an Associate Professor in Department of Biology since 2010. He started as the recipient of an Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Research Chair and, in 2015, he was named Canada Research Chair in Invasive Species Biology. Dr. Antunes began his academic studies in Biology at the University of Evora, Portugal (1999). He then undertook his doctoral research in Soil Science at the University of Guelph (2005) followed by post-doctoral research at the Free University of Berlin, Germany. Research in his laboratory (Plant and Soil Ecology Laboratory) aims to understand soil organisms and their interactions with plants.
Dr. Antunes assumed the role of Executive Lead (Research) effective January 1st, 2018. View Monthly Reports on his blog site for more information.
Specific priorities for the Executive Lead (Research) include:
- Providing direction and support in the development and implementation of University strategic plans to advance research;
- Expanding research and scholarly initiatives across the University;
- Building partnerships and identifying opportunities internally and externally, including other academic institutions, research organizations and private sector companies;
- Developing and maintaining state-of-the-art research infrastructure;
- Providing assistance to attract and retain highly talented researchers from around the world;
- Working with the Dean’s office and the Faculties to include and expand research opportunities in programs to enhance career readiness;
- Developing and implementing University research policy;
- Recommending and overseeing University research budgets; and
- Celebrating the University’s research achievements.
Accounting and Grants Officer
Office: NW 307J
Tiffany Gallivan is the Accounting and Grants Officer at Algoma University. She offers a wide variety of post-award research supports to the University, including liaising between researchers and funding agencies for policies, procedures, and process, and providing budget support for grant applications. Gallivan reviews grant contracts and submissions sent to the President’s Office for final approval, provides monthly updates to researchers on all projects currently in process, and completes financial reporting and invoicing for all grant funds.
Office of Research & Innovation Administrative Assistant
Office: CC 300
705-949-2301 ext. 1056
Helen Baxter is the Office of Research & Innovation Administrative Assistant at Algoma University. She is a graduate of the University of Toronto, with a degree in philosophy and English. Helen facilitates communications between the Office of Research & Innovation, faculty and students, and other groups. She also provides assistance in the establishment of partnerships, receiving and processing grant applications, and in the organization of research events.
Research Advisory Committee (RAC)
The Research Advisory Committee (RAC) serves as an institutional advisory body that will provide advice and recommendations on a variety of research matters in an effort to advance the institution’s research agenda.
- Dr. Pedro Antunes, Chair
- Dr. Nusrate Aziz (Social Sciences)
- Dr. Isabel Molina (Sciences)
- Dr. Nicola Shaw (Humanities)
- Mr. Ken Hernden (Library)