Home > Academics > Home of the Registrar > Letter of Permission

Letter of Permission

Regulations Pertaining to an Application for a Letter of Permission

Students in full-time degree programs at Algoma University may take courses at other accredited universities for transfer credits at the discretion of the University Registrar.

Permission will not be normally issued unless the student is in good academic standing. All requests for LOP must be supported with rationale and the host institution’s course(s) description or outline.

Need help & support?

The Registration Office
705-949-2301 ext. 4216/4227
Email: [email protected]

Application Process

Application must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar with a copy of the course description from the Calendar of the host institution. The processing time may take up to 3 weeks from the time they are received at the Office of the Registrar. The Letter of Permission Application (PDF) is also available in the Office of the Registrar.

Application Fees

A $40 application fee will be charged when students submit their application. Application fees are non-refundable.

Algoma University Transcript

Once the LOP is approved, the courses  will be noted on a student’s Algoma University transcript as IP (in progress). Students must obtain a minimum grade of 60% in their LOP course(s) to receive credit. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the official transcript from the host institution is forwarded to the Office of the Registrar at Algoma University.  Copies, faxes, unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts for LOP courses must be submitted no later than May 15 for spring convocation, and September 15 for fall convocation.

Once an official transcript is received from the host institution, grades will be recorded on the Algoma record system as P (pass), F (fail) or NC (No Credit received). In all cases, LOP grades are not calculated in determining the student’s term nor cumulative averages.

  • 60% or above = Pass (P)
  • 50 – 59.9% = No credit received (NC)
  • 49.9% or below = Fail (F)
Course Withdrawal

If students either withdraw or have not registered for an approved Letter of Permission course, they must submit a written verification direct from the host institution indicating the course status. If a written documentation is not received from the host institution, a failing grade (F) will be assigned. Students withdrawn from an LOP course will be required to submit an official transcript indicating withdrawal prior to the date for academic penalty.

Course Changes

If students are unable to enroll in the course they applied for or wish to apply for a different course, they should contact the Office of the Registrar for a reassessment of the LOP. They should include all relevant information for the new course(s) they wish to take.

Course Repeat

Students may repeat a course twice (three completions in total when the original attempt is included). This includes course equivalents attempted on a Letter of Permission at another institution. All attempts will appear on the students’ academic records, but no more than one attempt will be assigned credit. Students who intend to complete courses for a third time will be required to petition the Senate Committee on Academic Regulations and Petitions for approval – this includes courses by LOP.